Saturday, December 12, 2009

Weird looks...

Sometimes I get looked at weird if I ask my client "Do you want change?" This is why... Some people tip their hairstylist. By some, I mean probably 90% of people.

Well, some people tip and some don't. I just don't think it is a well known thing. It's not a percentage thing either, you don't need to calculate 15% like you do your waitress.

Now that I work from home, I really don't care if people tip or not. I am not working on commission, do not have to pay a booth rent, and I know that my clients love me. I do not expect to be tipped.

That being said, I used to work at Fantastic Sam's, where I did 6+ haircuts an hour, and averaged $7-$13/per hour. To me, that was working hard for no money. So the tips did matter to me. Most people did a $2 tip for a haircut, and a $5 tip for a color or perm.

At JC Penney Salon where I then worked for 3+ years, people tipped a lot better. Probably $5 for a haircut and $10 for a color/perm. That's a big tip though.

When I made my prices at home, I did $23/woman's haircut, thinking they would probably then give me a $2 tip and just give me $25. I priced my colors and perms similar. I think a lot of salons do that, so that's a good number to go by, if their haircuts are $28, you could just round up and give $30.

Although I do appreciate all that I get, and my clients are sooo generous, I really do not care if I get a tip. I just love my clients and I know that they love me even if they don't tip. I like giving my clients a good deal, and especially if they are struggling financially, I'd rather they just save their money :)

Just thought I'd put this out there in case maybe someone will read it and then know a general idea of why I ask that strange question.

3 comments:

  1. Hey, this has nothing to do with tipping for a haircut, but I have a question for you. I have all these awful little hairs at the front of my head that apparently fell out after I had Eli, and now they are growing back. It's so ugly, though, I was considering cutting bangs just to hide the hideous regrowth. I have super thin hair, though, and haven't had bangs since the 8th grade. Any advice?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No bangs! they will make you look too young, make the rest of your hair look thin, and take forever to grow out. I would recommend using a pomade to smooth them down and then some hairspray. You could do a frontal taper and then eventually they will grow into that. Also, be really careful with those little hairs, they tend to break off easy and don't flat iron them. I have them too. Dang babies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. the girls that I cut get their haircuts for free, yet I get a tip maybe like once a week! isn't that crazy? I mainly only get tips if it's something big like a color that they are paying extra for anyway. but seriously, don't you think if you were getting a cut for free, you could tip SOMETHING?? at least I still get paid either way, and like a home salon I don't have any overhead, so it's not a big deal, but I still think it's kinda funny...

    ReplyDelete