Thursday, November 19, 2009

Recession Hair #3

Recession Hair Tip #3

#3. Color your own hair. I personally color my own. It kinda sucks, I'm not going to lie. It takes me forever, and sometimes my foils bleed, and I have to go an touch it up a bit. But if you want to color your own, I recommend going to Sally Beauty Supply, and asking them to help you.

For example, if you want to go darker than you are, you can use 10 volume. This is the least damaging to your hair.

But if you want grey coverage, you must use 20 volume. Also if you want about the same level of darkness that you already are or if you want to go a little lighter, you can use 20 volume.

If you want to go alot lighter, you should never put above 20 volume on your scalp, so you should use a highlighting cap, or foils and paint it on.

But if you already have colored your hair, and want to go lighter than you are, you must use bleach, not color to lift it. Color will not lift color predictably. That means, that yes, there is a chance it will lift and turn out okay, but it's risky. It may be blotchy, or lift higher on the roots, or whatever... risky.

But what if you don't want the bleached color, but a warm light brown? then you must lift with bleach, then deposit with color. Also, if you want highlights, leave it on longer than you think. Most people don't leave it on long enough when they do it themselves and it turns out brassy, or yellow looking.

I do not really know how to use the grocery store box color, or Sally's kind either. That is just my recommendation.

Actually my recommendation is to not do it. Just pay a professional. It's worth the money.

1 comment:

  1. my only advice as far as boxed hair color (besides don't risk it, lol!) is only use it if it's close to your natural shade. since they are basically made as a "one size fits all" you don't know what you'll get if you go too different than your natural. but really, I tell girls if they want to do it on your own to go to Sally's and ask their professional advice on what to use according to your natural color. best advice is to go to a pro, for reals! we go to school for this stuff for a reason, lol!!

    ReplyDelete