Monday, August 31, 2009

Q and A

Thanks for the great question, Mama Keith!

Here's the question...

Hi! I just found your blog and I love it. I do have a question though. My daughter is 5 and has really thick hair, she wants to grow it out long (middle of back) but the longest I can get it to grow is right below her shoulders. Any suggestions on how to help it grow longer? I trim her hair about once a month and take as little off as possible and it is washed every other day. Thanks so much!!!!!

And here is my reply...

Well, hair usually only grows about a 1/2 inch a month.... So you may be trimming it too often/too much. It is really important to trim it so the ends don't split or break off, but if she has thick hair, you are probably okay to go longer in between haircuts.

Also, I've found with kids that since they grow so stinkin fast, sometimes they grow and so then it makes the hair look like it didn't grow at all! So she may be growing at 1/2 inch a month, and so when her hair grows 1/2 inch a month it isn't even noticeable!

Also I've heard of some other tips...
Like to wash your hair with horse shampoo (never tried it), and don't think I ever will.
Massage the scalp when you wash her hair because it will increase the blood flow which equals growing hair (this is why men go bald... the blood stops flowing up top).
There are some tea tree shampoo's that tingle the scalp and are minty, and I think they are supposed to work like the massaging tip, by increasing the blood flow.


Anyways, sorry, I know this isn't a ton of help, but those are just some of my suggestions.

Anyone else have a question? I'd love to hear it.

Amber

5 comments:

  1. Amber, ! love this blog! What a great idea. I do riley + hadley's hair the same all the time. Thanks for all the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for answering my question. I will try going about 6-7 weeks between haircuts. I have noticed too that she is in a growing spurt so that makes sense that I can't tell if her hair is growing or not. LOL I have heard of the horse shampoo but don't know about trying it.

    Thanks again!! I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cutie you have here! Yes of course, I would be happy to add you. Btw, I'm loving the decor in your home. I know I should be looking at the hair, but your house is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just stumbled upon your blog! This is great! I have a 3 year old with short/thick/stick straight/baby fine hair (if that makes sense).

    I have been trying different hair products on her, but I have yet to find one that will keep all of the fly aways at bay. Do you have any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, I used to use Horse Shampoo in jr. high and high school and I never noticed a difference. Just so you know.

    ReplyDelete